ZIPPY DOO DAH DAY
Photo by Shanna Hullender Photography


"Adopting one child won't change the world; but for that child, the world will change."




Sunday, January 16, 2011

SonShyne is my Sunshine




Friday night, the kids spent the night with Billy's parents. We didn't get them back until last night. They love, love, love going to Granny and Pop's house and spending the night. However upon their return home, Shyne (pronounced Shine) needs his "Momma time." As rough and tough and all boy as he comes across, he still wants one on one time with Momma. Upon entering the house, Shyne said "Momma, I was so good and I missed you! I love you, Momma." My heart was warmed enough to melt all the snow in the Southeast!

I cannot tell you what a change a year and half has made in this child. I will admit that in the beginning there were times/days when I thought how much easier it would be if it were only his two siblings. I wondered if he would ever feel like my child. Yes, those are not pretty memories but they are honest ones. Now, I only see a precious child that is brilliant and with a heart of gold. He has gone from cussing, wanting to be a gang banger to excelling in school, loving church and Awanas, and asking a lot a questions about God.

One look at the trio and Shyne is the one that sticks out with raven black hair and eyes. His eyes are so dark, one can hardly see his pupils. Zippy and Fuller on the other hand have more exotic looks with olive skin, lighter hair, and blue eyes. It isn't uncommon for people to brag on those two's beauty yet not mention Shyne's. He doesn't seem to pay it any attention but it is hard for me because I know his beauty inside and out. He loves to hear the story about how I always wanted a little boy with black hair and tan skin because I think that is the prettiest color in the world. I often look at his little hand inside mine - his tan beauty and my pale whiteness. The world may know we look different but my heart does not.

Shyne is ADHD so he does have his good and his not so great days. That in itself makes him different.

So, needless to say that Shyne is my special child. Not to say that the other two aren't because they are awesome little people and very special in their own little ways too. But no matter how I slice it and dice it, he is just different.

I no longer see him as the problem child. Instead, I see a little boy that is destined for greatness. I can't wait to see where life takes him. I love my SonShyne!

2 comments:

  1. Hi - First of all, u have beautiful and amazing kids! I've been researching adoption in GA through DFCS and I've read your entire blog and found it encouraging and informative. We went to orientation, but were disheartened by what was said. It was different than what I see online and your story. I would love to ask you a couple of questions about your experience but don't see your email address. If you are willing, you can email me - I subscribed.

    Thank you and my best to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mattie - I'm not very proficient with Blogger so I was not able to locate an email address for you. However, my email address is as follows:

    sbv@optilink.us

    I would love to talk to you about Georgia foster care adoptions! I look forward to hearing from you!

    Shana

    ReplyDelete