ZIPPY DOO DAH DAY
Photo by Shanna Hullender Photography


"Adopting one child won't change the world; but for that child, the world will change."




Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hello Summer!







Well, we finished out our first school year with the kids. It went by way too fast! I'm amazed at how much they have learned and grown. I have also learned and grown as a parent. This biggest thing I walk away knowing after this school year is that I'm not only my child's parent but I am their advocate. I have learned to keep pushing and pressing forward. I may not be an educator but I am not stupid. I may have only been my child's parent for only 10 1/2 months but I know my kid better than anyone else.

I'm very proud of all the kids accomplishments but I'm especially proud of Fuller because he had the biggest up hill battle of them all. In January, we were given a letter stating that we should consider holding him back for the next school year. We had already been working with like crazy. However, at that point we decided we needed to turn it over to a professional. We hired an amazing tutor, Ms. K, and have been rocking rolling toward academic achievement ever since! Last week we received his CRCT (annual standardized test for state of Georgia) scores. The test is composed of three sections: Reading, Language and Math. He was an EXCEEDS in Math and Reading (his once weakest subject) and a Meets in Language. However, the good news is that he was on 5 points away from being a EXCEEDS in Language. Now, how is that for a boy that was told a few months ago he would need to be held back? Rock on, Fuller boy!

I finally finished staining the deck the last week of school. I desperately wanted that project complete before school dismissed for Summer. As you can see from the photos, I had a lot of direct supervision. Shyne sat out there every afternoon watching every brush stroke. He always pointed out runs, missed spots and pretty much asked me a gazillion questions. One this particular day, I had to use the ladder to paint the hand rail on one side of the deck. Something about me being on a ladder fascinated them. Finally, I had to shoo them off because as soon as I would get to the top of it, I would hear "Mom, watch this!"

No comments:

Post a Comment